Time for a 60s miniskirt! This is actually my toile/muslin – I wanted to test the pattern before cutting into my good fabric. I think it’s wearable though, perfectly imperfect 😀
The fabric is a heavyweight twill I had leftover from one of the first skirts I ever made and the pattern is from the January edition of ‘Meine Nähmode’, a sewing magazine featuring Simplicity patterns. I really like Meine Nähmode because Simplicity patterns are actually quite expensive here in Germany and they never seem to be on sale.
This one is the New Look 6579 with a few changes. I mixed View C with the pockets from View A and used a facing instead of making a waistband (due to a lack of fabric to make a full waistband – but I actually prefer the look of this!)
So, how was sewing this up? It’s always a good idea to check Pattern Review to help prepare yourself to make the changes necessary. There is a LOT of ease in this pattern and while that’s fairly standard for Big 4 patterns, you should definitely measure your patterns pieces and not just go by the size guide and finished measurements table. I didn’t of course, so I added not one, not two but 6 darts! 4 in the back and two in the front. This wasn’t great because I’d already sewn the pockets down…something to consider for next time (size down!). I also think the pockets should be sewn on after all the skirt pieces are together, before inserting the zip and hemming – it would have been easier to fit this way.
As I mentioned above, I didn’t make a waistband. Instead, I used the waistband pieces to draft a facing. I like the look of this better and will use it on the final version. I also shortened it. After all, they don’t call it a miniskirt for nothing!
Overall I’m really happy with this skirt, inserting the zip into such heavyweight fabric wasn’t super fun but it worked out in the end. I also wish the pockets lay flat…ter, but the twill fabric is really thick so I suppose this issue will be fixed when working with my lighter weight canvas fabric for the final. I’m wearing it here with one of my many Studio Schnittreif Frau Marlene tops and I thoroughly enjoyed dressing like a crayon – might do it more often!
Pattern: New Look 6579
Designer: New Look
Designed for: Wovens
Fabric choice: Heavyweight twill
Size: 38 (My measurements are – Height: 159cm/5’2, Bust: 88cm, Waist 73cm, Hips 96cm)
Modifications: Added a facing instead of a waistband, added multiple darts, shortened the overall skirt length
Difficulties or future changes: Add pockets after the skirt pieces are together, before inserting the zip, size down one size.
Recommend for: Confident beginners with some knowledge of fitting